The Dean provides academic leadership and strategic direction for the faculty, supporting the Rector to ensure and enhance the quality of its teaching and research, plan, develop and manage the faculty staff and resources, and oversee the day-to-day management of its operations. The Dean is a key member of the TEAM Executive team and assists the Executive in the management of the University and implementation of its academic activities.
• Responsible for the strategic planning and operational development of the faculty through production of robust business plans and budgets, working with the Executive to develop such plans.
• Leadership and management of all faculty staff, academic and administrative, the allocation of responsibilities, the performance, development, and well-being of staff.
• Accountable for the academic performance and progression of students at all levels, the assurance of academic standards and the enhancement of the academic performance of students.
• Responsible for the development, delivery and Quality Assurance of courses, modules, and other educational programmes in the faculty to assure that the relevant standards and regulations, including requirements set by a partnering University are met, ensuring the absolute integrity and consistency of assessment judgments.
• Responsible for the continuous development of programmes, learning materials and staff to improve quality overall and to contribute to the development and enhancement of standards that benchmark the quality of provision.
• To develop and enhance the curriculum in all subject areas of the faculty to meet the needs of Uzbek society and international requirements within the framework of undergraduate and postgraduate curricula in the UK, Europe, and the international community.
• To promote and enhance the development of teaching, research, and consultancy in the faculty, both by maintaining their own profile in teaching and research and by representing and promoting the discipline externally through collaborations, partnerships, conferences, and professional bodies, in the UK and internationally.
• Engagement in the development and enhancement of the student experience, and the engagement of the faculty in the development of the opportunities and activities for student engagement.
• To oversee and ensure the continuous development, renewal, and marketing of the academic portfolio of teaching in all courses within the faculty, consistent with the national and international marketing strategy of the University.
• To contribute to and implement effective staff management (line management), including recruitment, and development policies and processes for all staff within the faculty, to ensure the consistent provision of feedback, guidance and staff development and the monitoring of performance against clear and equitable standards and university policies, conduct probationary reviews and ensure an annual appraisal process is in place for all staff in the department.
• To ensure that staff of the faculty provide accurately and timely information to its administrative and student communications systems, and to deal effectively with problems including equal opportunities, health and safety, disciplinary, grievance and complaints procedures including operation of the student disciplinary procedure as required.
• To ensure adherence to agreed University and, where appropriate, professional body requirements for all academic programmes developed and delivered by members of the faculty, the maintenance of professional standards in teaching, research and consultancy work, and the maintenance of effective relationships with existing and potential students.
• To undertake representational duties as required on behalf of the University to professional bodies, external organizations, etc., to promote the reputation and work of the University in the community, nationally, and internationally, establishing and maintaining collaboration and partnerships where appropriate with HEIs, industry and other bodies.
• To promote opportunities for effective generation of income through short courses, external research income, consultancy and so forth as consistent with university standards, policies and strategy.
• To assist in the effective management and development of the learning resources of the University. To provide a viable and attractive learning environment for students and staff, and continuous improvement in the quality of teaching and learning.
Residence: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
• A first degree, higher degree and an established academic and professional reputation, including a strong research record or professional practice in an area within the subjects covered by the University are essential. Membership of the ILT or equivalent and senior membership of an appropriate professional body and a management qualification are desirable.
• An outstanding track record of personal achievement in teaching, research and/or practice in their main discipline are essential, and evidence of the ability to successfully manage and motivate staff and other resources would be a distinct advantage. A high level of analytical and administrative ability is essential as well as significant experience of academic administration, such as course and module leadership, quality assurance, marketing and curriculum development. A good understanding of business planning, resource management, and of the issues affecting HE are essential.
• International experience in particular in the area of Transnational Education would be an advantage, and understanding of the cultural and environmental issues relating to the delivery of international education is required. Awareness of capability development programmes, models and issues, would be an advantage.
Desirable attributes would include a track record of significant achievement in the following areas:
- Course and curriculum development and the development and introduction of improved methods of teaching and learning
- Development and management of effective quality assurance procedures, including active involvement in committees and working groups
- Promotion of research, including the generation of income from sponsorship, research contracts and other sources
- Development and delivery of international programmes in particular transnational experience.
- Management of staff and staffing budgets, including the effective handling of appraisal and staff development activities
- Development of continuing professional development and knowledge transfer programmes in collaboration with business partners, industry and professional bodies, preferably including some international experience
- Developing business plans, budgets and project plans and successfully managing resources within them.
Aptitudes, abilities and personal qualities
Essential qualities include:
- Leading change by championing the vision and supporting the people involved. Planning and putting in place the necessary resources and supporting systems, including monitoring and communications.
- Taking ownership and control and exercising leadership; initiating action and taking responsibility.
- Setting ambitious but realistic goals. Showing commitment to their own personal development and identifying development strategies needed to achieve work and career goals.
- Cultural awareness and the ability to manage cultural differences, tensions and personal differences. Tact and Diplomatic skills in relation to handling such cultural dimensions, in particular personal and interpersonal.
- Seeing and contributing to the big picture, showing the way forward so others understand what they must do to align their efforts to university-wide goals
- Providing direction, inspiring others and taking responsibility for contributing to and delivering results to achieve the university’s vision/goals.
• Sensitivity to the culture and an understanding of the Region are essential, together with a positive commitment to internationalism in HE, the nature and development of International Standards in HE.
• Language skills in particular a high command of English, equivalent to a native speaker, an understanding of Russian will be an advantage.